Fungal infections are quite common and vary from mild to severe. They can be found almost anywhere on the body. If you’re dealing with one, you just know how irritating it can be.
There are a variety of products to help rid yourself of fungal infections, with soaps that you can use in the comfort of your own home being one of the most popular. They are specially designed with medicinal drugs or natural ingredients to fight various infections.
What to know before buying antifungal soap
If you’re thinking of buying antifungal soap in India, there are a few things you need to be aware of before making a purchase.
Common types of fungal infections:
Not all fungal infections react to the same active ingredients. Therefore, it is important to understand what types you’re dealing with before trying any product. These are the most common types of fungal infections:
- Ringworm: Despite the name, it is caused by fungus and not a worm. It can affect nearly any part of your body and is most often diagnosed by its tell-tale ring-shaped rash. The symptoms include a red, circular rash with an elevated, scaly border. The centre of the rash can be scaly or clear, and the affected skin may be itchy.
- Athlete’s foot: Another infection with a misleading name, athlete’s foot doesn’t only affect athletes. Anyone can get an infection. It’s characterised by burning, itching, and cracking between the toes or on the feet’s soles and can also spread to other body parts. The skin may often appear red or scaly.
- Yeast infections: These are caused by some form of candida fungus and result from a pH imbalance. They occur in the private parts of both men and women.
- Nail fungus: This is a fungal infection that affects the nails of the fingers and the toes. It is caused by a wide variety of fungi, such as yeasts, dermatophytes and moulds. The infection may begin as a yellow or white nail spot under the nail and can cause the nail to become thickened, discoloured and brittle. In severe cases, the nail may split or separate from the nail bed, and there may be discomfort or pain.
- Aspergillosis This is a fungal infection that is caused by the fungus Aspergillus. It can affect the lungs and cause symptoms like chest pain, coughing, and shortness of breath. It is a serious condition for those with weakened immune systems or underlying lung diseases.
There are other fungal infections as well, but unlike the above, most of them can be treated with special lotions or creams rather than soaps.
The importance of early treatment
Fungal infections can be caused by different types of fungi and can affect different parts of the body. They are generally treated with antifungal medicines, but the success of treatment often depends on how early the infection is identified and treated. The early treatment of fungal infections is vital to prevent the infection from spreading and causing serious health problems.
Fungal infections can be a problem for any person, but those with weakened immune systems, like those with cancer, HIV/AIDS and diabetes, are at greater risk. In the case of fungal infections, symptoms can vary depending on the type of infection and the affected body part. The most common symptoms include itching, redness, scaling, and blistering of the skin, nail discolouration and thickening, coughing, fever, and shortness of breath in cases of respiratory infections.
The importance of early treatment of fungal infections is observed in the case of fungal nail infections. If left untreated, a fungal nail infection can spread to other nails, causing discomfort and pain. In severe cases, it can lead to the loss of the affected nail. In some cases, the infection can spread beyond the nail and infect the surrounding tissues, leading to cellulitis, a life-threatening condition.
Also, early treatment of skin fungal infections, such as ringworm, may prevent the disease from spreading to other areas of the body or other people. If left untreated, the condition can become chronic and hard to treat.
This is why it is vital to get rid of fungal infections as quickly as possible.
Each person’s skin is different, so it is essential to choose an antifungal soap that best suits your skin type. If you have dry skin, you may choose a soap that has moisturizing ingredients. If you tend to suffer from acne, then you must select a non-comedogenic formula that won’t block pores.
What are the things to look out for in antifungal soap?
Most medicated soaps contain miconazole, ketoconazole or Clotrimazole. It is crucial to consider the active ingredients in an antifungal soap because not all fungi respond well to every treatment type. For instance, tinea tends to react more quickly to miconazole or ketoconazole, while candidiasis usually reacts more quickly to clotrimazole.
Another option is to select soaps made of natural ingredients. Eucalyptus and tea tree oil have proven extremely effective in fighting fungal infections.
Natural ingredients and medicinal drugs used to treat fungal infections tend to have a strong smell. If you’re allergic to smells, you should read user reviews to see if the product you’re thinking of buying has a strong smell.
Antifungal soaps are available in both liquid and solid forms. They’re equally effective, and the choice can be based on your personal preference.
How much does antifungal soap cost
The price of antifungal soap can vary depending on the brand, size, type, and location of purchase. On average, best antifungal soap in India cost between Rs. 150 to Rs. 500 per bar or bottle. Prices can vary based on the pharmacy, retailer, or online store and whether the item is available for sale or being offered at a discounted price. It is always a good idea to check prices from different sources and read product reviews before purchasing. It is also important to remember that antifungal soaps aren’t always necessary for everyone, and a healthcare provider may suggest other forms of treatment for fungal infections depending on the individual case.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Will antifungal soap get rid of a severe fungal infection?
Although antifungal soaps can treat severe infections, they should only be used when the symptoms are minimal. Anyone suffering from a severe infection or not seeing an improvement after applying an antifungal soap must speak with a physician immediately.
How do I use antifungal soap?
To use antifungal soap, wet your skin with water and then lather the soap, paying special attention to areas that are susceptible to fungal infections. Rinse thoroughly with water and dry your skin completely.
How often should antifungal soap be used?
It is recommended to use the soap regularly until the infection is fully cleared. Always follow the manufacturer’s guidelines on the frequency and location of use. If you’re susceptible to frequent fungal infections, it can be beneficial to use the soap periodically as a preventative measure.
Can children use antifungal soap?
Always consult a doctor before using any antifungal soaps or lotion on a child, even if it has natural ingredients.
Are there any side effects associated with antifungal soap?
Antifungal soap is usually safe to use, but some people may experience side effects, such as skin irritation, itching, or redness. If you experience any unusual symptoms or side effects, discontinue use and consult with a healthcare professional.